Afternoon teas, theatre productions, film screenings, relaxing walks, special brunch menus — whatever your mum enjoys, there’s a way to treat her in Portsmouth this weekend! Here are our ten highlights for Mother’s Day events in our city:
Brunch with mum at the Spinnaker Tower
Whisk your mum to the top of the Spinnaker Tower for three tiers of brunch treats and stunning panoramic views.
Indulge in a selection of mini bagels, miniature pastries, and fruit scones with strawberry jam and clotted cream, all served with unlimited tea or coffee.
Book by visiting the Spinnaker Tower website » or calling 02392 857 520.
See Hidden Figures at No. 6 Cinema
No. 6 Cinema, Portsmouth’s only independent filmhouse, screen 2016 American biographical drama film Hidden Figures on Friday Saturday 25th 2017, from 7:00pm — not quite Mother’s Day, but a perfect film to take mum and see this weekend.
The incredible story of three brilliant African-American women working at NASA, who served as the brains behind one of the greatest operations in history: the launch of astronaut John Glenn into orbit.
The visionary trio crossed all gender and race lines to inspire future generations to dream big.
Book online through the No. 6 Cinema website, or buy on the door on the night.
Seafront strolls and calming Canoe Lake walks
We have a beautiful seafront right on our doorstep, and taking a leisurely trek along the shoreline is a perfect way to spend a Sunday, especially one with your mum.
Plus, if you get a lil peckish, you can pop into Southsea Beach Café for afternoon tea or a bite to eat and a cuppa.
Mother’s Day lunch at Lou Lou’s Brasserie
Lou Lou’s is a brasserie in the heart of Southsea, sited on Marmion Road offering an exciting selection of French and British cuisine.
Whether you’re treating mum to a cheeky couple of cocktails or a three-course evening meal, the menu at Lou Lou’s has you covered. They also host live music to keep you entertained and chilled while you dine. Their Mother’s Day menu is as follows:
- Fondue Savoyarde: melted cheese with white wine and garlic served with fresh garlic-rubbed bread and cured meats
- Pi Perade (V): onion and peppers in a tomato sauce with baked eggs and fresh breads
- Fig Aux Chevre (V): roasted figs filled with goat cheese and crispy smoked bacon
- Rissoto aux Asperges (V): asparagus risotto topped with poached egg
- Roti de Boeuf: roasted beef served with garlic-roasted potatoes, seasonal vegetables, and homemade Yorkshire pudding and cauliflower cheese
- Gigot D’agneau Roti: slow-roasted leg of lamb served with potatoes cooked in meat juices with seasonal vegetables
- Tarte Tatin aux Poire et Amandes: pear and almond tarte tatin
- Crème Brulee aux Chocolat et Framboise: white chocolate and raspberry crème brulee
- Banoffee Elciare: banoffee eclaire served with ice cream
Relax at the Pyramids Centre Spa
Give mum the gift of de-stressing — treat her to a day pass and treatment at The Pyramids Centre’s spa.
The spa features steam rooms, a salt grotto, a sauna, an ice fountain, and a monsoon shower. You can see a full list of treatments on the Pyramids Centre website »
See Thoroughly Modern Millie at The Kings Theatre
Based on the 1967 Oscar-winning film of the same name, Thoroughly Modern Millie graces the Kings Theatre stage during March, as part of a major UK tour.
It’s the roaring twenties. Kansas-hailing Millie Dillmount steps off the train into a New York city filled with speakeasies, frivolous flappers, and the pulsating sounds of syncopated jazz.
America has thrown off its inhibitions and anything goes! Millie’s ‘modern’ plan is to work in a typing pool and marry the wealthy boss.
But then she meets and falls in love with Jimmy, a man without a dime to his name — or so she thinks…
See it this Saturday at The Kings Theatre. Book your tickets on the theatre’s website »
Tasting event for mums at Le Creuset in Gunwharf Quays
Le Creuset in Gunwharf Quays are hosting a mini red velvet cupcake tasting event this Mother’s Day, in-store on Sunday 26th March.
Join them for a fabulous little treat for you and mum, topped with delicate swirls of cream cheese icing.
While you’re there, enjoy exclusive outlet discounts across the Le Creuset range and gift your mum something special.
Mother’s Day lunch on No Man’s Fort
Enjoy a Mother’s Day like no other on No Man’s Fort in the Solent, where guests can enjoy a three-course meal and wine on Sunday 26th March.
This memorable day out at sea includes return boat transfers, a full guided tour of one of our historic forts, a welcome reception drink, three-course luncheon (accompanied by half a bottle of house wine per person), and tea and coffee.
There’s a special Mother’s Day menu, too! Starters include:
- Starters: butternut squash purée, crispy vegetables, spiced seeds
- Smoked duck and avocado salad, pancetta, honey ginger dressing
- Hampshire chalk stream trout, prawn tartare, watercress
The choice of main courses is:
- Umami sea bass fillet, crayfish and saffron risotto, sea greens, herb butter sauce
- Spring vegetable ‘vol au vent’, spinach cream, aubergine purée
- Fat hen stuffed corn-fed chicken en croquette with serrano ham, roasted baby vegetables, and red wine jus
And finishing it all off, a selection of desserts:
- St. Clement’s posset, seasonal berries, tuile biscuit
- Dark chocolate tart, chocolate ice cream, chocolate brittle
- Sticky toffee pudding, sea salted caramel sauce
Tickets are available at £125.00 per person, and gift vouchers are available in £50.00 denominations. For reservations, call.
Watch Beauty and the Beast at Gunwharf’s Vue Cinema
Make mum feel like a princess this weekend and watch Disney’s live action adaptation of the classic fairytale Beauty and the Beast, screening at Gunwharf Quays’ Vue Cinema all weekend.
Belle (Emma Watson), a bright, beautiful and independent young woman, is taken prisoner by a beast (Dan Stevens) in its castle. Despite her fears, she befriends the castle’s enchanted staff and learns to look beyond the beast’s hideous exterior, allowing her to recognise the kind heart and soul of the true prince that hides on the inside.
Prosecco and cupcakes at Drift
Drift have got a great Sunday lined up for mums this year, with a free glass of Prosecco and free cupcakes!
They also have happy hour deals from 5:00pm to 9:00pm. Find out more about this event on Facebook »